Using Partition Actions To Divide Property

There are many inconveniences that can arise when two or more parties are in joint possession of real estate. In some cases, a partition action is necessary to divide a property between the individual owners.

Partition actions can be voluntary, if all co-owners agree to the terms. When they cannot come to agreement, one or more owners may file a lawsuit seeking a court-ordered partition. In South Carolina, there are two ways a property can be partitioned:

  • Partition in kind: A physical division of real estate in which each owner's share is determined.
  • Partition by sale: In which the real estate is sold and proceeds divided by the co-owners.

If you are seeking skilled legal representation for a partition action or any real estate law matter in the Myrtle Beach area, the attorneys at Singleton, Burroughs, Young & Sligh, P.A., are here for you. We have extensive experience handling partition actions and related matters for clients in Conway and throughout the Grand Strand region.

Get In Touch With Lawyers Who Can Help

To learn how we can help you with your legal needs, contact our law offices online, or by telephone at 843-492-5882 or 800-781-8685.