Attorneys Protecting Your Financial Interests In Alimony Determinations
Financial concerns are a major aspect of divorce. You need to be confident that you will be secure financially as you move into the next stage of your life. Alimony or spousal support is a common topic of discussion as you and your spouse tackle the issue of money and equitable property division.
The attorneys at have helped clients protect their financial interests. We have handled hundreds of cases, often involving complex assets and intense arguments. Whether you need to request alimony or challenge a petition, we have the experience necessary to protect your financial interests.
Call us at 843-919-7747. We handle initial alimony petitions and modifications in communities such as Myrtle Beach and throughout the surrounding counties.
Alimony Is Decided On A Case-By-Case Basis, And It Is Not Automatic
Under South Carolina law, alimony or separate maintenance and support is not automatic. A court will determine the issue pursuant to the couple’s individual circumstances. The court can award it on a temporary or permanent basis. In making the award and determining the sum, the court will consider many factors.
This includes the following factors related to you and your spouse:
- Ages at the time of the marriage and divorce
- Length of the marriage
- Physical and emotional conditions
- Education, current employment, reasonably anticipated earnings and earning potential
- Additional education necessary to reach income potential
- Employment history
- Standard of living during the marriage
- Reasonable needs and expenses
- The value of assets awarded under a property settlement
- Separate property
- Circumstances related to a custody agreement
- Tax consequences
- Support orders from a previous marriage
- Any other factor the court deems relevant