Experienced Lawyers
Serving Your Needs
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Wills, Probate, and Estates
  4.  » Guardianships And Conservatorships

Doing What Is Best For Your Loved Ones

You want to protect your loved ones, and it can be challenging to do what is right when someone whom you care about is unable to care for himself or herself. Whether you want to act as the caretaker for a minor or disabled loved one or want to establish a plan for guardianship in your estate plan, an attorney can help you provide for your loved ones.

At Sligh Law Firm we have assisted a variety of clients throughout South Carolina’s Grand Strand in establishing guardianship or conservatorship. We can help you create a plan that protects the people you care about. We can also help you contest a guardian or conservatorship decision that is not in the best interests of that person. Together, we can ensure that your loved one’s needs are met and that their well-being is protected.

Your Guide To Guardianship And Conservatorship

When a person is not physically or mentally able to care for himself or herself, it may be necessary to appoint a custodian to act on that person’s behalf. In South Carolina, these caretaking responsibilities are referred to as guardianships and conservatorships:

  • A guardianship authorizes a person to make decisions regarding another person’s health care, medical treatment and general well-being.
  • A conservatorship gives a person decision-making authority over certain financial and legal functions, including managing bank accounts and investments and paying bills.

Note that the same person can serve as both guardian and conservator.

If you are seeking a guardianship or conservatorship over an adult or minor in South Carolina, the attorneys at  are here to guide you through the process. We can petition the court on your behalf and help you anticipate and overcome any obstacles that may arise. If you are engaged in a contested guardianship or conservatorship issue, we can protect your rights in or out of court.

Talk To An Attorney Who Can Help

The duties of a guardian or conservator are many. We can help you understand your rights and responsibilities under South Carolina laws. To learn more, contact our Conway law office by telephone at 843-919-7747 or contact us online. Our lawyers serve clients throughout the Myrtle Beach area and the surrounding region.